Head of Pre-School Application
Accountable to: Alex Thornton, Nursery Manager
Job Title: Head of Pre-School (12 Month fixed-term contract to cover maternity leave)
Hours of duty: 40 hours per week
Overview: Perform duties in line with 22 Street Lane Nursery’s ethos, philosophy and vision, as well as the policies and procedures, including Health & Safety and Safeguarding children.
We are delighted to offer a unique opportunity for the right person to come and work in our state-of-the-art nursery in the heart of Roundhay, alongside a team of some of the best nursery professionals in the industry. You will be working in a stunning environment with regular training offered and a great team spirit.
The successful candidate will have experience working with children aged 3 and over, and previous room leader experience would be desirable. You will assist in delivering fantastic childcare across the nursery setting whilst being responsible for leading our Swans room, supporting the team and ensuring best practice at all times.
• To assist in the leadership, implementation and monitoring of EYFS Framework and any other relevant legal/statutory frameworks.
• To contribute to the creation of a safe, welcoming, and inclusive environment for all children.
• To be aware of 22SLN policies and procedures and ensure these are adhered to.
• To be responsible for the welfare of all children in your designated room, organising systems to ensure consistent, high-quality care.
• To be vigilant and protect children from harm or abuse, reporting any concerns immediately – in accordance with child protection and whistleblowing policies.
• To deploy staff and resources effectively, maintaining ratios in your room whilst supporting other rooms as necessary.
• To reflect on practice and routines, tailoring them to meet the individual needs of each child throughout the day.
• To lead planning and the provision of a stimulating range of age-appropriate activities and ensuring your room is well-resourced and creatively set up.
• To lead observations and the assessment of children’s learning and development ensuring records are kept up-to-date, are of a high standard and are shared effectively – includes Individual Education Plans for children with Special Educational Needs.
• To develop genuine bonds with your key children and support and monitor colleagues to sensitively fulfil their key person responsibilities.
• To work in partnership with all parents/carers, building and maintaining relationships that encourage trust, open communication and involvement in nursery life.
• To contribute to the effective recording and resolution of any complaints or investigations, always ensuring confidentiality.
• To work flexibly as part of the larger team, assisting and supporting colleagues wherever required, in order to ensure the smooth running of the setting.
• To attend reasonable out-of-working-hours activities, including training, staff meetings, parents evenings and special events
• To assist in the development and support of other staff members by communicating effectively, sharing knowledge and experience, delegating tasks appropriately, identifying training needs, leading meetings, inductions and 1-2-1s – with support from the nursery management and senior management teams
• To respect and value all colleagues, children, and parents, encouraging a positive and diverse working environment.
• To cooperate and work effectively with the management team, taking on additional responsibilities/duties and positively promoting developments in policies and procedures to team members.
This job description is intended to give you an indication of the main duties, but is not meant to be an exhaustive list.
Qualifications and Experience
• Level 3 qualification in Childcare (EYE)
• Desirable qualifications – EYITT, EYP, NQT
• At least 3 years’ experience working within a similar nursery setting.
• At least 3 years’ experience with children over the age of 3.
*Please note that due to the high volume of applicants we receive, it may not be possible to respond to all applicants and please note that CV’s that do not show relevant experience will not be considered for the position. In line with the requirements of the Asylum & Immigration Act 1996, all applicants must be eligible to live and work in the UK.*