Deputy Room Leader Application
Accountable to: Alex Thornton, Nursery Manager
Line Manager: Room Leader
Hours of duty: 40 hours per week
Overview: Perform duties in line with 22 Street Lane Nursery’s ethos, philosophy and vision, as well as the policies and procedures, including Health & Safety and Safeguarding children.
• To support in the leadership of an allocated room, support the team and ensure good practice at all times.
• To take the lead of the designated room in the absence of the room leader.
• To contribute to the creation of a safe, welcoming and inclusive environment for all children.
• To assist in the leadership, implementation and monitoring of the Early Years Foundation Stage Framework and any other legal/statutory frameworks.
• To promote the overall aims and objectives of the nursery and work with the manager and team to achieve the nursery’s mission statement.
• To be responsible for the welfare of all children in your designated room, and support with the room’s organisation, ensuring consistent, high-quality care.
• To be vigilant and protect children from harm or abuse, reporting any concerns immediately – in accordance with child protection and whistleblowing policies
• To assist and/or take responsibility for the effective deployment of staff and resources, maintaining ratios in your room. Where required it may be necessary to cover in other rooms.
• To support and contribute to the planning and the provision of a stimulating range of ageappropriate activities, ensuring that your room is well-resourced and creatively set-up.
• To observe and assess children’s learning and development ensuring records are kept up-to-date, are of a high standard and are shared effectively (including Individual Education Plans for children with Special Educational Needs)
• To develop genuine bonds with your key children and support and monitor colleagues to sensitively fulfil their key person responsibilities
• To work in partnership with all parents/carers, building and maintaining relationships that encourage trust, open communication and involvement in nursery life. To contribute to the effective recording and resolution of any complaints or investigations, ensuring confidentiality at all times.
• To be professional and a good role model to the children and other staff members, at all times.
• To work flexibly as part of the larger team, assisting and supporting colleagues wherever required, in order to ensure the smooth running of the company.
• To assist in the development and support of other staff members by communicating effectively, sharing knowledge and experience, delegating tasks appropriately, identifying training needs, leading meetings, inductions and 1-2-1s – with support from the nursery management and senior management teams
• To respect and value all colleagues, children and parents, encouraging a positive and diverse working environment.
• To cooperate and work effectively with the management team, taking on additional responsibilities/duties and positively promoting developments in policies and procedures to team members.
• To ensure your specific duties regarding Health and Safety and fire procedures are understood and actioned.
• To be aware of the high profile of 22SLN and refrain from irresponsible behaviour that could impact the company’s commercial success.
• To adhere to all 22SLN policies and procedures
• To undertake other duties and responsibilities determined by the Manager, in consultation with yourself.
• To undertake any training in relation to the duties of your post.
• To assist in out of hour’s events such as parents evenings and Open Days.
• To maintain confidentiality of all information received.
This job description is intended to give you an indication of the main duties, but is not meant to be an exhaustive list.
Qualifications and Experience
• Level 3 Childcare Qualification or above (Essential)
• 2 years minimum experience of working with children (Essential)
• Level 6 Childcare Qualification or above (Desirable)
• Leadership experience within a nursery (Desirable)
• First Aid qualification or a willingness to do it (Desirable)
• Food hygiene qualification or a willingness to do it (Desirable)
Skills and Knowledge:
• Ability to communicate effectively with children, parents and colleagues
• Ability to work as part of a team
• Good numeracy, literacy and ICT skills
• Ability to prioritise work load according to the requirements of the nursery
• Good level of organisation and time management
• Good knowledge and understanding of the EYFS
• Good knowledge and understanding of safeguarding procedures and legislation
• Ability to reflect upon practice and drive own personal development