Dish of the Month – February
Each month you’ll find a tasty new addition to our dish of the month page. We will tell you all about the ingredients needed, as well as how to cook the recipe, so you can enjoy at home with your children.
This month the children have been enjoying lots of delicious and nutritious food, prepared by our Head Chef, Christopher Milner and his dedicated team. One of the children’s favourites has been our Shepard’s Pie. The children enjoyed it so much we made it our Dish of the Month for February!
Shepard’s Pie with Sweet Potato topping;
- Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, cut into 1cm pieces
- 1 celery stick, cut into 1cm pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 500g of Lamb Mince
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 400g can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 cup (185ml) lamb stock
- 1 cup (120g) frozen peas
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup (60g) grated cheddar
- Preheat oven to 220C.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot and celery to pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 mins or until onion softens. Add garlic and cook for 30 secs or until fragrant. Add mince and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up any lumps, for 8 mins or until browned. Add tomato paste, tomato, Worcestershire sauce and stock and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 15 mins or until mixture thickens slightly. Stir in peas. Set aside for 15 mins to cool.
- Meanwhile, peel and boil the sweet potatoes until soft and ready for mashing.
- Spoon the lamb mixture into a bowl suitable for the oven. Top with sweet potato mash. Bake for 10-15 mins or until golden. Serve with seasonal vegetables.
We have also created a FlippingBook to showcase our current and past Dishes of the Month, to view; simply click on our FlippingBook icon to the right of this page.
Make sure you come back next month for our next dish!
View our 'Dish of the Month' recipes