Dish of the Month – September 2019
Each month you’ll find a tasty new addition to our Dish of the Month page. We will tell you all about the ingredients needed, as well as how to cook the recipe, so you can enjoy at home with your children.
This month the children will be enjoying lots of delicious and nutritious food, prepared by our Head Chef, Chris Milner and his dedicated team. This month we will be having an hearty dish of Cod and Salmon Fish Pie. We hope the children will enjoy it last this month, and if you’d like to make it at home, we have provided the full recipe below!
Cod and Salmon Fish Pie
- 1kg Maris Piper potatoes, peeled and halved
- 400ml milk (plus an extra splash for the potatoes)
- 25g butter (plus an extra lump for the potatoes)
- 25g plain flour
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1x pack fish pie mix (cod, salmon, smoked haddock etc, weight around 320g-400g)
- 1 tsp Dijon or English mustard
- ½ a 25g pack, or a small bunch of chives, finely snipped
- Handful frozen sweetcorn
- Handful frozen petits pois
- Handful grated cheddar
- Heat the oven to 200C/Fan 180C/Gas Mark 6.
- Put 1kg potatoes, peeled and halved, in a saucepan and pour over enough water to cover them. Bring to the boil and then simmer until tender.
- When cooked, drain thoroughly and mash with a splash of milk and a lump of butter. Season with ground black pepper.
- Put 25g butter, 25g plain flour and 4 finely sliced spring onions in another pan and heat gently until the butter has melted, stirring regularly. Cook for 1-2 mins.
- Gradually whisk in 400ml milk using a balloon whisk if you have one. Bring to the boil, stirring to avoid any lumps and sticking at the bottom of the pan. Cook for 3–4 minutes until thickened.
- Take off the heat and stir in 320g-400g mixed fish, 1 tsp Dijon or English mustard, a small bunch of finely snipped chives, handful of sweetcorn and handful of petits pois. Spoon into an ovenproof dish or 6-8 ramekins.
- Spoon the potato on top and sprinkle with a handful of grated cheddar cheese.
- Pop in the oven for 20 -25 mins or until golden and bubbling at the edges. Alternatively, cover and freeze the pie or mini pies for another time.
We have also created a FlippingBook to showcase our current and past Dishes of the Month, to view; simply click on our FlippingBook icon to the right of this page.
Make sure you come back next month for our next dish!