Dish of the Month – September 2020
Each month you’ll find a tasty new addition to our Dish of the Month page. We will tell you all about the ingredients needed, as well as how to cook the recipe, so you can enjoy at home with your children.
This month the children will be enjoying lots of delicious and nutritious food, prepared by our Head Chef, Chris Milner and his dedicated team. This month the children loved making and tasting these Banana Lumpia. We hope the children will enjoy it last this month, and if you’d like to make it at home, we have provided the full recipe below!
Baked Turon (Banana Lumpia)
- 4 large ripe bananas
- 16 Lumpia/egg roll wraps
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon of water
- 5 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 1½ teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- Preheat your oven to 400ºF/200ºC/Gas Mark 6 (375ºF/190ºC/Gas Mark 5 with convection). Line a baking tray with non-stick foil and put it in the oven to preheat.
- Prepare the cinnamon sugar by combining the ground cinnamon and granulated sugar. Then whisk the egg and water together in a separate bowl.
- Peel the bananas and quarter them. Dip each quartered piece in the cinnamon sugar mixture and lay at the centre of one lumpia wrapper. One corner of the wrapper should be facing you; lay the banana piece horizontally and fold the corner closest to you over the banana. Fold the left and right corners in towards the banana and wrap tightly.
- When you get to the last fold, brush the ends with the egg and fold to seal. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- Once the oven has finished preheating, brush the top half of the banana spring rolls with the egg mixture and arrange them on the baking tray. Don’t pack them too closely to allow air to pass through between the rolls so they crisp up. Sprinkle the sugar on top of the spring rolls before baking. (This step is optional but adds more crunch to the rolls.)
- Bake the Turon for roughly 27 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through the baking time. Pull them out of the oven when they are nice and golden. Cool for a couple of minutes and enjoy. These are great on their own or can be served with ice cream and/or chocolate/caramel sauce as an extra special treat!
We have also created a FlippingBook to showcase our current and past Dishes of the Month, to view; simply click on our FlippingBook icon to the right of this page.
Make sure you come back next month for our next dish!