Dish of the Month – November
Dish of the Month.
Each month you’ll find a tasty new addition to our dish of the month page. We will tell you all about the ingredients needed, as well as how to cook the recipe, so you can enjoy at home with your children.
This month the children have been enjoying lots of delicious and nutritious food, prepared by our Head Chef, David and his dedicated team. One of the children’s favourites has been Vegetable Curry with Poppadoms. The children enjoyed it so much we made it our dish of the month for November!
Vegetable Curry with Poppadoms
- 1 medium onion diced
- 4 cloves of garlic crushed into a paste
- 1-inch large sweet potato diced into 1/2 cubes (no need to peel)
- 2 inch medium yellow or red potatoes diced into 1/2 cubes
- 1 large carrot sliced into thin rounds
- 1 large green bell pepper diced
- 2 cups of green beans chopped
- 3 spring onions or scallions green and white parts chopped
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 4 pods of green cardamom slightly crushed
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1-2 cups of vegetable stock or plain water
- 1 14- ozcan of chickpeas drained and rinsed
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tbspminced coriander leaves for garnish
- 1 tbspcurry powder or substitute with sambar powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1.Heat the oil. Add the cardamom and sauté for a minute until the pods start to colour slightly.
- Add the onions and sauté over medium heat until they start to sweat and turn translucent. Add the turmeric, cayenne and garlic and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the sweet potatoes, potatoes, and carrots. Season with some salt and cover the pan. Turn the heat to low and let the vegetables cook about five minutes. If the vegetables start to stick, add some water.
- Now add the green beans and green peppers and 1/2 cup of water or vegetable stock. Cover again and cook five more minutes.
- Check to see if the potatoes and sweet potatoes are cooked. If they are not, continue to cook, covered, for a few more minutes.
- Stir in the chickpeas, curry powder and another cup of vegetable stock. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Add the coconut milk and scallions and just let the curry heat through without coming to a boil. Turn off the heat.
We have also created a Flipbook to showcase our current and past Dish of the Month,
to view; simply click on our Flipbook icon to the right of this page.
Make sure you come back next month for our December dish!
View our 'dish of the month' recipes