Dish of the Month – February
Each month you’ll find a tasty new addition to our dish of the month page. We will tell you all about the ingredients needed, as well as how to cook the recipe, so you can enjoy at home with your children.
This month the children have been enjoying lots of delicious and nutritious food, prepared by our Head Chef, David and his dedicated team. One of the children’s favourites has been our Super Squash Lasagne. The children enjoyed it so much we made it our Dish of the Month for February!
Homemade and locally sourced Super Squash Lasagne
• 1 large butternut squash
• 1 level tsp ground coriander
• 4 cloves of garlic
• 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
• 800g plum tomatoes
• 200g baby spinach
• A handful of fresh sage leaves, plus a few more for the top
• 60g Parmesan cheese
• 250g dried whole-wheat lasagne sheets
• 400g fat-free cottage cheese
• 100ml semi-skimmed milk
• Potatoes, wedged
• Green beans
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C and rub 2 large roasting trays with a little olive oil.
- Carefully halve and deseed the squash, leaving the skin on, then slice into ½-inch half-moon shapes.
- Lay in a single layer across the trays. Sprinkle over the ground coriander, and a pinch of black pepper, then roast for 50 minutes, or until soft and lightly golden.
- Peel the garlic and deseed the chili, then finely slice both and place in a large pan on a medium-high heat with about 1 tablespoon of oil. Cook for 3 minutes, or until golden, then add the balsamic and tinned tomatoes, breaking them up as you go, and 1 tin’s worth of water. Simmer on a medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes until slightly thickened, or until slightly thickened, then season to perfection.
- To layer up, spread a third of the tomato sauce across the base of a 25cm x 30cm baking dish.
- Cover with a layer of raw spinach leaves and a few sage leaves, a layer of roasted squash, a fine grating of Parmesan and a layer of lasagne sheets.
- Repeat the layers twice more, finishing with lasagne sheets.
- Loosen the cottage cheese with the milk, mashing the curds a little, then lightly season and spoon over the top. Finley grate over the remaining Parmesan.
- Bake at the bottom of your oven for 45 minutes, or until golden and bubbling, then serve.
We have also created a FlippingBook to showcase our current and past Dishes of the Month, to view; simply click on our FlippingBook icon to the right of this page.
Make sure you come back next month for our March dish!
View our 'Dish of the Month' recipes